RMPS - Advanced Higher
Pupils study two units and are also required to complete a dissertation. As some of the time allocated to this course is self-study, pupils will be given a weekly study plan.
Pupils look at three areas in medical ethics:
- The beginning of life: rights of embryos and abortion.
- The prolongation of life: ethical dilemmas of procuring and allocating organs.
- The ending of life: end of life care and assisted dying.
Philosophy of Religion
Pupils study three areas in philosophy of religion:
- The Cosmological Argument for the Existence of God
- The Teleological Argument for the Existence of God
Pupils can choose a topic from any aspect of the course and prepare a 4000-word dissertation on their chosen subject. The dissertation counts for 27% of the final mark and is externally assessed.